Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Two Weeks Already?

This time two weeks ago I was passed out in my new room, trying to recover from jet lag.  I can't believe that it's been two weeks!  On one hand, it's gone by really fast, but on the other hand, it seems like I've been here way longer.  I've already done so much, seen so much, met so many people...  Of course there are still things I'm learning and adjusting to and getting started on, but in a lot of ways I already feel really used to life in Japan.  Probably a lot of that is thanks to my prior knowledge of the language and culture, in addition to all the help I've received from the other missionaries, especially Becky, who I'm with almost 24/7, who is incredibly patient and helpful in teaching me how to live in Japan and in helping me with the language barrier.  I have been incredibly blessed since arriving here, more than I would have believed possible.

And today was no exception.  I had a lazy morning and afternoon, which included chatting with my family and friends via Skype and Facebook (the Internet is truly a wonderful thing!)  After that, Becky, Carol and I went grocery shopping at Saty.  Becky and I (who shopped together, of course) finished first, so we wandered around a bit, since I haven't seen the rest of the store, and it's actually pretty big.  They have clothes, music (I know where I'll be buying my Johnny's cd's...), stationary, and more.  There's also a section that, as far as I can tell, is just cute stuff, like stuffed animals and such.  In that section, there was a bunch of cheap knockoff Johnny's stuff (Johnny's is a talent agency that manages most of Japan's famous boy bands), mostly Arashi.  It was just so terrible that it was fantastic.  They're not even good pictures!  And the stuff also had some awesome Engrish.  I'd never waste my money on it, but looking at it was A+ entertainment.

"We hope your shinning tomorrow rather than yesterday.  We can imagine how much you will be progressed tomorrow."

"What kind of world do you have in?  Maybe we are in your world."  Also, that thing on the top left?  Is a fan ID card.  Imagine how obsessed you'd have to be to carry that around in your wallet...

"We're always surprised just surprised at you.  Sometimes you make like the children, son look like grown-up."  WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN, SHO.  

The whole ridiculous display.  There were key chains, mouse pads, pencil boxes...  There was AKB48 stuff too.  

Side view.  Look at that horrible Sho uchiwa at the bottom...

So yeah, that was my entertainment for the day.

Anyway, after leaving Saty, we went to dinner at a Japanese restaurant, where I got udon with beef, mochi, some veggies, etc.  It was SO GOOD.  And look at how it came!

With its own little gas stove!  It was pretty awesome.

Me with my food.  I look kind of crazed, so uh, don't mind me...

And then!  Tonight I went with Becky to rehearsal for the gospel choir she's a part of, and it was really fun!  It's been probably four or five years since I was last in a choir, and I really missed it.  It's interesting, singing Christian songs with a bunch of Japanese people, most of whom don't understand much English and aren't Christians anyway.  But the songs are really fun (we practiced some Christmas songs :D!), and the people were all really nice, so I think I'm gonna join.  It's every other week, so I'm looking forward to going again in two weeks, at which time I'll officially sign up.  

The only other real excitement I had today was just now when I burned a bagel into charcoal, but let's not talk about that.  :D


2 comments: