Sunday, November 14, 2010

International Night

Today we went to church in Matsusaka, which is about half an hour away from Tsu.  Becky preached, and the three of us sang Trust and Obey, the same song we sang in Kyoto last Sunday.  Everyone there was really nice, and we went out to eat with a family from the church.  Their kids were super cute and definitely kept things entertaining.

Us at the church.  There were too many cameras and we didn't know where to look lol.

The place we ate at is actually a natto factory.  So here are the people making natto.  Yum...  *cough*

Obligatory food picture.  That's natto curry.  (lol I put rice in the soup bowl and curry in the rice bowl.  Fail...)  There was also apparently natto in the fried rice.  Pretty soon Carol was convinced that everything secretly had natto in it, haha.

When we got back to Tsu, we took naps, haha.  I was so sleepy...  And then we got ready for Crossroad, our biweekly program that's an opportunity to have fun and deepen relationships, kind of thing.  The theme for this time was International Night, so we had performances from all different people from different cultures.  Everything was really awesome!

Alicia singing a Malaysian folk song.

Denis, a high school senior whose family moved to Japan from Albania when he was little.  He talked a little bit about his life in Albania, what it was like to move to Japan, etc.

Julia (pronounced Yulia) singing a German folk song.

Zensuke and his friend Kazuki playing shamisen.  Everything tonight was wonderful, but this was definitely my favorite.  Shamisen is so cool!  And they even did souran bushi, a traditional song that also has a dance, and I did the dance with Japan Club back in college, so I knew it.  I took some video, but I don't know if this Internet is fast enough for me to upload it, haha.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow.  

There were also some Thai girls who came late who ended up performing a couple of Thai dances for us.  Also very cool.  :D  I also had the chance to share my story of how God worked in my life to bring me to Japan, which was pretty awesome.  It's really obvious to me that God used different things in my life that I never would have expected to bring me here now, so I was glad to be able to share that with everyone, especially since not everyone there was a Christian.  Hopefully they were able to see the evidence of God working in my life.

Anyway, Becky, Carol and I all have Mondays off, so my only plan for tomorrow is to help do some baking in preparation for the Fall Baking Day next Saturday.  lol, maybe I'll be better at cooking and baking by the time I get back to America...maybe...

1 comment: