Sunday, December 5, 2010

Moar Food Pictures

So, okay, I promise I haven't only been eating, but I haven't really done anything worth taking pictures of for the past few days, so food pictures are better than no pictures, right?  :D?

Friday night was movie night, and we watched It's A Wonderful Life.  It was my first time seeing the whole movie, and of course I loved it.  There's a reason it's a classic, right?  We had some good discussion afterwards about some of the themes in the movie (although I was with the Japanese-speaking group so I had a little trouble following).  At one point, I was asked why Americans value family so much, which really stopped me in my tracks.  Of course, not everyone in America values family, but as a culture, we certainly do, and I'd never really given any thought as to why that is before, because it is not necessarily this way in Japan.  Loyalty, to the country or to one's company for example, is often prioritized above family here.  I didn't have an answer at the time, but it really made me think, and later when I talked to Carol and Becky about it, they talked about how the family unit is biblical, and a reflection of our relationship with God (we are the bride of Christ), and since our culture is based on Judeo-Christian values, that's why we value family in this way.  Interesting.  I learned something!

I didn't think I was going to have anything to do on Saturday, but I really should have known better, because I spent almost the whole day decorating for Christmas.  It's really been going on in phases; on Saturday we did the bulletin board in the entryway, and I decorated the tree, put up some of those light-up reindeer outside, and put up nails for us to hang lights on (tiring!).  We're still not finished, so Becky and I are probably going to work on it some more tomorrow, like putting up lights inside and outside, some finishing touches, etc.  I don't know if we'll finish or not, but we'll see!  And the reason I didn't take any pictures is because I want to wait until everything's finished!

Not too much to say about today.  We went to church, had choir practice, and went to lunch with the Kobayashis, who we went to the natto factory buffet place with, as you may recall, as well as Becky's friend Shouko.  After that, we stopped at Don Quixote, a department store I'd heard much about before but had never been to, and now Becky's in a meeting and I'm trying to get some other things done, like sending out e-mails, some prep for our Christmas program, and, of course, updating you all about my ~adventures~.

And, because I feel like I must, food pictures.  (Yes, Dad, I do eat at home sometimes, I just don't usually take pictures of it.)

Omurice (omelette rice) from the little Japanese place near us.

The first part of my lunch set from the little cafe we ate at today.  This salad was really good.

Chicken, mushrooms, spinach and daikon pasta with cream sauce.

Persimmon tart and apple juice.  I wonder why we don't eat persimmons much in the States...?  I'd never eaten raw persimmon before coming to Japan, but they're really good!

I promise to take pictures of other things!  ...Soon!  Hopefully!


1 comment:

  1. haha our house always has a stock of persimmon! But that may be because we're an Asian family. I don't like persimmon, but that tart looks really good!

    ReplyDelete