Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Real Crisis

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated my blog.  I was already starting to fall behind when the world started going crazy, and now I'm way, way behind.  I do intend to catch up eventually, but I've been pretty busy recently, so maybe sometime this coming week I can pick up where my last entry left off.


This post is going to be different.  In this post, I want to talk about an issue that is currently very close to my heart.  I want to talk about the recent disasters in Japan.


First off, I think you all should realize this by now, but I am totally, completely fine.  I live hundreds of miles south of the Tohoku region where all of this has been taking place, so I haven't felt any of the effects of the earthquake or tsunamis at all, really.  It's almost embarrassing how well I've been doing in the week since the earthquake hit Japan.


Tens of thousands of people aren't fine, though.  I don't have all the numbers and statistics, and it's been a few days since I've had time to watch the news (which is apparently quite different than the news you guys are seeing in North America, but I'll address that in a minute), but I do know that, even now, the situation is very serious.  The evacuation centers and shelters are still lacking in supplies, power and water haven't been restored in many places, and earlier this week the temperature plummeted, making conditions even worse.  Lives continue to be lost.  The crisis is not over; it's just beginning.  My heart breaks when I think about what the people in northern Japan are going through right now, and watching the news makes me want to cry.  I don't think any natural disaster has ever affected me quite this strongly before.


Which leads me to what's making me even more upset right now: Apparently, from what I have heard, the American media is spreading some ridiculous panic about the situation of the nuclear power plant in Fukushima.  Instead of focusing on the people who are still in desperate need of help, the media is fearmongering and blowing the nuclear power situation way out of proportion.  It's sickening.  


I am not even the slightest bit worried about radiation or a nuclear meltdown or anything like that, and to be very clear, I'm not leaving Japan unless NAB (my missions organization) or the government makes me.  God put me here, and I believe that this is where I should be, doing exactly what I'm doing.  I'm no scientist, and I know the media has been pretty crazy in the States, so you don't have to just take my word for it that the nuclear power plant isn't anything to worry about.  Here are several articles I've read in the past few days.


http://blogs.reuters.com/gregg-easterbrook/2011/03/15/japans-real-disaster/


http://hesomagazine.com/featured/cool-heads-must-prevail-to-help-cool-the-rods-updated-response-to-this-is-not-chernobyl/ (I apologize for the swear word early on in this article, but please don't be deterred; it's really very good)


http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/03/16/british-australian-and-american-governments-no-serious-radiation-threat-to-tokyo/


http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/19_04.html


So there you have it.  I've been going about my normal life, with all of this in the back of my mind.  If you want to care about the things I care about, please continue to pray for Japan.  I pulled from a couple of sources to make a prayer guide for a prayer service we had last night here at the Center, so here are specific ways you can pray.  I wouldn't call this a comprehensive list necessarily, but it's a start.




Please pray for…

People who have lost loved ones, and people who are trapped and injured.  Casualty reports are still coming in, and it’s difficult to know how many have been injured or killed, but the number is certainly in the thousands, if not the ten thousands.

People whose family and friends are still missing, or who may not have been able to contact each other yet because of poor phone and cell phone service.  Pray for the continued rescue effort, and that communications can quickly be restored.

The tens of thousands of people staying at evacuation centers and hospitals.  Many have little food and water and no electricity.  The temperatures have dropped since the beginning of the week, making conditions even more difficult.

The power plants and water facilities to be able to resume their work, and pray for those who do not have these essential supplies. 

Grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.  There have been reports of people panic buying and stockpiling food and other everyday items.  Pray that people will think rationally and only buy what they need and leave the rest for others, and for the relief effort.  (Note: I've heard that situation has improved in recent days.)

Rescuers and relief workers, for safety, wisdom, and compassion.

The Christians of Japan, that we would be able to mobilize relief efforts and provide for people's needs, both physical and spiritual.

So please, don't worry about me.  Instead, worry about (and more than that, pray for) the people who are still suffering as a result of the earthquakes and tsunamis, and if you find it in your heart to help, please donate to the Red Cross or another relief organization of your choice.  We here at the Center have been sending donations from our students and friends to CRASH, a Japanese Christian relief organization.  Due to the current state of things, donating money is really the best thing anyone can do.

Thank you all for your concern for me.  I'm really touched by how many people have been thinking of and praying for me in these recent days.  Now I'm asking you to direct those prayers to those who need them the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment