Friday, January 28, 2011

For Now

So yeah...  The length of time between blog posts is getting longer and longer.  >_>  Sorry about that...  So let's start with last Tuesday, shall we?

TUESDAY


Becky was gone for most of the day and I didn't have any plans, so I ran a few errands of my own.  I went to the post office to take care of a few things, which left me feeling quite accomplished because I had a decently long conversation in Japanese as I was being asked questions about the package I was sending.  I also went grocery shopping, which taking my groceries home was a bit of an adventure since I biked to the store and I kinda bought too much stuff, but in the end I managed, so!  Then that night Becky and I had gospel choir, and one of the ladies who sometimes comes to Carol's Bible study came to think about joining, which was pretty cool!  Generally a pretty chill day.

WEDNESDAY


In the morning, Carol got her driver's license!  She is pretty excited about that.  So to celebrate, the three of us went to lunch with an older gentleman who was a student of Becky's dad and is a friend of ours.  The name of the restaurant is AIN...which I can't remember what it stands for right now but it's nonsensical English.  But anyway, the four of us had a nice time!  And the lunch set was pretty cool.  Carol and Becky got pasta, but I got hamburger with demiglace sauce~  The sets came with this little tray of different appetizer-type things.  Pretty nice!


Then that afternoon, I helped Carol with some gardening in our little garden just out front of the Center.  Then I was supposed to have class but my student didn't come, so the rest of that afternoon was pretty chill.  Then of course I had class that evening.  After my class, Becky invited me to go to Casa Mia with her and Paul, who had come from Osaka to help her with some financial stuff.  I'd already eaten dinner, so I got dessert: kabocha (pumpkin) tart.  It was amazing, and we had some nice conversation.  It was a pretty nice day!

THURSDAY

In the morning, I had Japanese, as per usual.  After class I think I cooked lunch?  I think this was the day I cooked, haha.  Just like chicken and carrots and stuff, but it was actual cooking.  Then, since Becky had been in Nagoya on Tuesday, when we normally have our staff meetings, we met on Thursday afternoon instead, planning out that weekend's events as well as looking a little further ahead.  Then I think we ate at the cutlet (katsu) restaurant, which was amazing as always, and then I had class, and I think that was more or less it.

FRIDAY

Thankfully I took pictures on this day, haha, so I can actually remember what I did!  Carol, Becky and I went to lunch at Coco's, where I got this awesome hamburger/katsu/curry combo lunch thing.


This lunch had a purpose besides just eating, however: Carol had offered to give Becky and I a kind of little seminar about teaching, especially me, since I'm still so new at it.  So she gave us some tips, tools and pointers, which were all really helpful!  After lunch, we ran a couple of errands, and then they dropped me off since I had class at 4.  The rest of the evening progressed as usual, with my other two classes at 6 and 7, and then we got ready for movie night!

This movie night was up to me, by which I mean I watched the movie, wrote the questions, and hosted the event.  This week's movie was The Blind Side, which I'd never seen but, as anyone who's seen it knows, is really good.  A guy from Becky's and my gospel choir group came with his wife- from their two hours away!  Pretty cool that he was willing to come that far.  Anyway, after the movie, a couple of girls who live in Yokkaichi, about half an hour away, stayed over at Becky's and my apartment, since it was too late for trains to be running.  It was fun hanging out and talking with them!

SATURDAY

This was a totally fun day!  At noon, Becky and I met up with our friend Noriko and we went to lunch at Karakatta, a Nepalese curry restaurant.  I didn't take pictures because I've eaten there before...but of course I can't find the post right now.  It's there though, trust me.  With pictures of super gigantic nan bread.  But anyway, after we ate, we picked up Alicia and went to karaoke!  Noriko and I had been talking about wanting to go to karaoke for quite a while, so we were excited that it finally worked out!  Karaoke always has a different feel depending on who you go with and what kind of music they like, but it's always fun.  :D Although at first the karaoke people tried to give us the lamest room ever...  It seriously had metal benches inside...  So we asked them to let us trade, which they did.  Yay.  :D  

 I know I look kinda weird with my bangs clipped back, but they weren't cooperating that day, so...  Also, no one knows what Noriko is doing...

That evening was the church young adult group's goodbye party for Alicia, who's leaving Japan next month.  

The kabocha soup (in the cups) was SO GOOD.

We played a game where you had to tear letters out of the newspaper to spell words.  Pretty fun!

It says "Thanks, Alicia!"

A pictionary-type game.  Apparently some people thought sleeping was a good plan...?

Alicia was forced to cut her own cake.  Everyone was like "You're so good at it!"  lol only in Japan are people praised for their cake cutting technique...

My, this looks like a lovely gift.

A lovely gift indeed.  Alicia will cut you.

Bonus: Mine and Alicia's purikura.  :D

So yeah, it was a fun party.  :D  Then after the party, I helped Carol set up for Talent Night (the next night's theme for Crossroad).  It was sort of a lot of work because we were hanging up the various pieces of art and stuff that our students lent to us, but it ended up looking pretty cool!  But yeah, busy day.

So yeah, obviously this does not catch me up to the present, since this party was almost a week ago...but in order to actually post something, and to keep this post from being as insanely long as my posts tend to be, this is it for now!  Maybe part 2 will show up sometime tomorrow.  We'll see~

No comments:

Post a Comment